- For employees of the Universities - employee electronic card (the UE) or electronic Printoscope card (the US),
- For students - electronic student ID card,
- For other readers - electronic library card issued by the registration.
A term to register in the Library, is a properly completed and signed reader declaration, ID card and:
- For employees of the US and the EU: proof of employment or a valid employee ID card, for the retired employees of US and the UE - certificate from the home University confirming retirement;
- For undergraduate and graduate students of the US and the EU: if the home institution issues traditional indexes - student/PhD student ID card and the index of the current admission to a next semester, if the home institution does not issue the traditional index - valid student/ PhD student ID card;
- For readers mentioned in § 2 point 3 the first sentence: an index or a student card with the current admission to semester, including his alma mater library stamp (if the school issues traditional indexes) and student/PhD student ID card;
- For postgraduate students of the US and the UE: a student card or certificate of participation;
- For other persons: confirmation of introducing library deposit.
- The formalities relating to the registration of the document must be made in person.
Readers can register online: completing and sending the "Registration of new readers" form (designed for people who have never borrowed books in network of the US and UE libraries, or go to the next study level. Others readers should activate their card/student ID card in an appropriate library):
- in the “document number” readers should enter their Social Security number (PESEL);
- after completing and submitting the form, the system displays a number (ID) that can be used as a login to a library account;
- attention! newly created account will be blocked until the reader authenticates his personal data - within 14 days from sending the form, he should report in person to the library with an appropriate document;
- staff and students of the US and the UE holding, respectively, an electronic employee or student ID card, activate it at the circulation desk as a library card;
- other readers will receive a card at the circulation desk.
Silesian University of Technology (from 11/04/2013), Academy of Fine Arts in Katowice (from 11/06/2013), Medical University of Silesia (from 27/06/2013), University of Physical Education in Katowice (from 05/11/2015).
- students of above-mentioned universities who want to use CINIBA services have to have a student card and an index with stamp of the University's Main Library;
- if the university does not issue traditional indexes, registration in CINiBA is made based on a written confirmation of student's registration in database of the University's Main Library
- students of the University of Silesia who want to register in the Main Library of the Silesian University of Technology, the Library of the Academy of Fine Arts in Katowice, the Library of the Medical University of Silesia or the Library of the University of Physical Education in Katowice, have to have an index with stamp of CINIBA and a student card;
- students of the University of Economics who want to register in the above-mentioned libraries have to have a special certificate issued by the Lending Desk in CINIBA and a student card;
- students, doctoral students and postgraduate students of other universities (on the basis of signed tripartite agreements with the University of Silesia and University of Economics) can borrow 5 volumes for 8 weeks.
- employees and retired employees of the US and the UE;
- students of 1st grade and 2nd grade studies, 5-years master degree studies, PhD students at the US and the UE and post-graduate students of these Universities.
- on the basis of reciprocity: the students of 1st and 2nd grade studies, 5-years master degree studies, PhD students and post-graduate students at universities that have signed appropriate trilateral agreements with the US and the UE.
The employees of these institutions have the right to borrow books through interlibrary loan service or on the basis of a deposit account in the Library.
- university teachers of other universities, managers of the companies and non-governmental organizations, local government employees and any other persons who are at least at age of 18 – on the basis of a deposit account.
In CINiBA there are 14 individual work carrels available, located on level 1. They can be booked for up to two weeks (or longer, if there are no other pendings) and used within CINiBA opening hours.
Service of carrels is lead by the reading room (32 786 51 51).
The individual work Carrels are available upon submission of reader identifying document – with priority given to researchers and PhD students, followed by the US and the UE students.
A reader identifying document: for employees of the Universities – employee electronic card or electronic library card; for students – electronic student ID card, for other readers – electronic library card or guest card. Issuing a free of charges guest card takes place in the circulation desk (level 0).
There are two types of carrels:
- equipped with a computer with Internet access and software appropriate to create documents,
- with ability to connect laptop to the Internet.
When booking, please specify which type you choose. The carrels with computers are assigned on a priority basis.
Obligation to have a guest card applies to all readers who do not have a document authorizing to borrow books in CINIBA (for example student card). The guest card allows to use WiFi network, Reading Room, headphones for Multimedia room and individual work places. The guest card is issued free of charge by Lending Desk (level 0).
In the reading room located on level 1, readers you can use books, magazines, materials from the closed storehouses and publications loaned from other libraries. These materials cannot be taken beyond the reading room. Upon request, the librarian may keep the ordered publications in the reading room, but for no longer than 7 days. There are 5 computer stations available for readers.
Orders for materials from closed storehouses shall be issued no later than 30 minutes before library closing. Orders issued after that time will be processed on the following workday.
The reference collection includes: general encyclopaedias (Polish and foreign), bibliographies and the series of Scientific Studies of the University of Silesia.
In order to use the reading room, a reader needs to have a document which authorises borrowing books from the CINiBA collections, or a guest card issued by the circulation desk. They should be left to the librarian on duty, to whom all materials brought by the reader must be reported as well.
The readers are also welcome to use the individual study carrels.
Readers can also use individual work carrels.
The current press reading room is located on level 2. We can find here the latest information and opinion-forming journals, including Polish and foreign newspapers and magazines.
In the computer lab on level 1, there 21 terminals with Internet access.
In multimedia reading room, located on level 1, we offer access to multimedia and computer stations where you can play discs that require installation of appropriate software and restarting a computer. Headphones are available in the reading room, located on level 1.
In order to use the library' headphones, a reader needs to have a document which authorises borrowing books from the CINiBA collections, or a guest card issued by the circulation desk.
Users with their own equipment can use the wireless Internet. It is possible to access the following networks:
authorised network CINiBA (without possibility to use databases and services subscribed by the US and the UE);
authorised network EDUROAM provided authentication, that is entering username and password (authentication enables you to work in protected university network - applies to staff and students of the US and the UE.
- Information on configuration of the network for staff and students of the US.
- Information on configuration of the network for staff and students of the UE.
The CINiBA employees do not configure users’ laptops to access the Internet.
A large part of the library collections is in the open areas, and the collections are typically public. This means that each piece can be easily viewed and then a reader can decide whether he wants to use it and for what period of time.
In the free access areas readers can reach books by themselves, and at the end of work put them back in designated areas (orange boxes that are on the shelves) or borrow them.
Borrowing books from free access is self-service thank to self-borrowing devices (called selfchek) located on each floor of the building. The book can also be taken to the circulation desk on level 0 to be borrowed with support of the library staff. Books marked with a red dot cannot be borrowed, but can only be used on site.
In the case of free access books, an electronic catalogue only gives the location of a copy (shelving), the ordering option is inactive.